Saving the World with My Free Spirit and my Diamondback!

Saving the World with My Free Spirit and my Diamondback!

March 23, 2011

Riding in the rain

     I've been doing horribly at posting daily!  I'm sorry!  I will get better at this.  So, riding after the rain is a pretty challenging task.  It's a good thing I'd read about it a little bit because had I not, I would probably have eaten it going through a puddle!  For those of you who plan on riding after (or during) the rain, avoid the puddles!  You can't tell how deep the pothole is.  I also played a really fun game of Dodge Stick in the bike lane in various parts of town.  So, beware the things that are blown out of trees during a storm.  Lots of twigs and spikey balls.  Also, make sure you are wearing chapstick so you don't have to lick your lips a lot.  And try to breath through your nose.  The reason being, you WILL get splashed by large vehicles going through puddles.  I learned a little bit about riding IN the rain.  Pedal faster.  That's pretty much it.  There's no point in wiping the water off your face, trying to dry your hands, or keeping your bike dry.  Just deal with the water, hold on tighter, and wipe your bike off with a cloth when you get home.  Invest in some grippy gloves before your next wet ride.  I sure as hell am! 

     I learned recently that one of my faithful followers just purchased a helmet!  That's a step in the right direction.  Congrats, Cat!  ( ;  Well that is all for now folks. 

Happy Cycling!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I would think that one of those little rain panchos (think Niagra Falls)would be a handy thing to have in your pocket when it looks like there might be rain. Those things are thin enough that you can put your helmet right over it. Or, as we learned in G.S., those big trash bags are amazing. None of this will help your legs or feet, but they would help to keep your head and body warm and dry.

Way to go Catherine!

cbsavestheworld said...

I would love to ride around town in a trash bag!!!! ( ;