Saving the World with My Free Spirit and my Diamondback!

Saving the World with My Free Spirit and my Diamondback!

March 11, 2011

It doesn't take an athlete...

I know there are some people out there who are thinking that they "can't" ride their bikes to work.  I'm here to tell you you can!  It is possible! (This doesn't apply to people who have kids, work 20+ miles from work, live at sea level and work in Big Bear, etc.) You don't need to be athletic and you don't need a super expensive, brand new bike.  I'm FAR from what one would define an "athlete". I think once I place in a 5K race, or can complete a 10K or larger race then I might try on that title for size.  I have an old, klunky, HEAVY, in-desperate-need-of-a-tune-up, 1980s era Free Spirit and it gets me where I need to go!  Well, I make it get me where I need to go.  I'd be willing to bet that those of you who have a bicycle, have a more modern one than my Free Spirit!  Give it a shot.  Practice in your neighborhood if it's been a while since you've been on the thing.  Learn your shifters and check your brakes.  Then start with short trips.  Need to get something from the store?  Ride your bike!  It's a lot more fun than it looks!  Eventually you can work your way up to riding to work one day a week, then two perhaps.  Live near the coast?  Don't drive to the beach, ride!  You'll get more out of the amazing sea breeze that way. 

I learned another lesson today.  Have a plan!  I decided to ride my bike to a cool performance by the USMC Drum & Bugle Corps (about 10 miles from my place), from there I rode to my mom's house about 8.5 miles away... I don't have a sweater to wear at the concert Aaron, Mom, and I are going to tonight, I don't have a hair tie, and the best part is I don't have a plan to get me and my bike home tonight without riding it, in the dark, through some STEEP hilly areas.  Super smart.  So, plan ahead, folks!  It helps. 

Well, one final thought before I go watch some more news about the quakes and 'namis.  What did you do today to reduce your carbon footprint?

Happy Cycling!

No comments: